Saturday, November 13, 2010

Reflections

Excuse me while I have a bragging moment and at the same time document this experience for future scrapbook pages (that probably won't get done for how long? but eventually)

I was excited to actually hear about the Reflections contest this year at our school. So on the deadline I was filling out forms, going to the store to buy mats, and turning my kids artwork into the office. A couple of days later we found out that they both got ribbons! They were in the same category K-2nd grade. Here's Brooklyn with her "Waterfall Mountain" painting.

The theme was "Together we can..." and Brooklyn finished hers off with Together we can... make the world a beautiful place.
Nathan actually got 1st place! Here he is with his painting, "Crazy Sounds"

Together we can... make music. I love how he named it Crazy Sounds and there are music notes and clocks in the picture. (There are also trees, a Nathan, house, the word, "Crayola" (sort of-because that was something in front of him on his paints)
Even though only a handful of kids participated it was exciting for Nathan to get such great feedback. He really has a passion for art. At the beginning of the school year I would ask him, what sports do you like, what would you want to play? One day he came home with a flier that had karate, cheerleading and art classes on it. He said, "Mommy I know what I want to do! I want to take art lessons!!!" Well, being that I have an art degree, who better qualified to teach my son art? I justified it to him by comparing me teaching him art lessons to me also teaching Brooklyn piano. He was okay with it! He always asks about art lessons if we forget or get busy. We've only had a few, but he loves painting, drawing, coloring, anything to do with art!

2 comments:

Piper said...

What a great idea- give your kids lessons!! You inspire me, Holley. ;)

(Not that I have a degree or anything, but I know how to get messy and have fun... )

Kerri said...

Wahoo! That's not bragging...it's just broadcasting to the world how awesome your kids are!!!! Such an excitement!