We got to go up to the snow for President's Day. The snow was so great. So soft and fluffy. We had great fun sledding and having snow ball fights. We also got to visit with my Grandma and Grandpa in Lake Arrowhead. My grandpa was not doing well but we had a great visit.
A week and a half later he passed away. I love this picture that my aunt Kristen (I believe) painted.
We had a wonderful memorial for him. My grandparents have 8 children who did an amazing job talking about their memories. They made me laugh one minute and cry the next. It was truly an emotional, wonderful day.
I got to accompany my dad singing "To Dream the Impossible Dream" which my Grandpa liked to sing, sort of joking around.
Brooklyn and Bonnie sang "If I Listen with My Heart" (which is a primary song the kids are learning this year), but Elyse played the flute, and my dad played the guitar. It was so beautiful.
Here I am with my Grandma Marilyn, and sister Joanna, who are both beautiful, amazing, talented, wonderful women.
We visited my grandparents last November and my grandpa asked me if Joanna and I would play the "Dallas Tango" at his funeral. Dallas is his first given name, but he went by Max. The Dallas Tango is a duet that Joanna and I played in high school in a duet competition. We actually got to play in the circle of winners concert (one of the most thrilling experiences of my life: playing on a grand piano on a stage, so fun!) Anyway, I told my Grandpa, sure in 20 years we'll play that song at your funeral. I really thought we would have more time to practice! But it actually came back to us pretty fast - finger memory is amazing! It was so fun to play with my sister again. I was a little giddy when we started playing it the first time again. My grandpa was so full of life and had such a fun personality, we could just picture him with this rose in his teeth, dancing to the Dallas Tango!
Wow this post is hard to write. So I think I will just leave it at that!


2 comments:
Oh Holley, this is so sad! I am so sorry to hear about his passing, and the way that makes dear hearts ache. It looks like the memorial was just what you all needed to celebrate his life. I'll be in your shoes soon, I'm sure with my grandpa. My hearts with you!
Sorry to hear about your grandpa but so glad you got to visit before he passed and that you were able to bring a little bit of him to his services. I am sure he'll be missed.
Post a Comment