Ok I guess everything doesn't revolve around water. We went to the OC fair with cousins.
Brooklyn and Nathan summarized two books they've read, and got 3 free rides, (which was nice since they are a little pricey at the fair!)
We got in for $2 each since we got there the first hour they were open, but it was a warm day, even in OC!
Note to self: never by buy cotton candy pre-made in a bag. The kids still loved it, but it is nothing compared to freshl!
Brooklyn and I enjoyed the arts and crafts show, while the boys took a break--at least it was air conditioned in this area!
Well our lake trip this year was a bust. My uncle usually takes us out wakeboarding and tubing, but this year the lake had super strict rules and his boat didn't pass inspection. The bacteria count was too high, so we wouldn't have been able to do anything on the lake....so we went to Ventura beach, relaxed, went swimming, saw dolphins, got buried....
...did a little sight seeing, played games, ate too much junk, and still had a nice break from the routines of everyday life!
My sister, Elyse, is getting married soon, so I threw her a bridal shower! We had it at my mom's house, which was perfect with all the people that showed up!
I had fun experimenting with a friend's cupcake recipes, they were delicious!
I also had fun learning how to make these puff balls
Mama Faye, Sylvia, and my sister Joanna put together a musical, which is a tradition, that told the story of how they met. Brooklyn and Bonnie did "Someday my Prince Will Come"
It was a mash up of musicals, but in honor of Elyse's middle name, Jasmine, we had an Aladdin theme going. The boys in the family were allowed to stay for the musical and then we shooed them away for some guy time.
My sister, Joanna, was down and it was so fun to have her there. I love singing with you Joanna!
She got so many lovely gifts.
Here's the painting I did for them, I didn't get a good photo, this is with my phone...
Sisters, sisters.....I wonder if Bonnie will be the one sister to grow taller than me?
We went on a little campout, saw a tarantula crawl through our campsite, and Kevin and I slept on our new cots and had the best nights sleeping on a campout ever!
Why did we start this fire when it was already so hot? Oh ya, for s'mores. The kids helped build, but did too good of a job. We scoot our chairs far away from the sparks and the heat!
Then we spent the day at the beach!
I took Nathan to see Seussical the Musical. It was a local children's theater, but I kept forgetting that they were teenagers and kids--they were amazing! Nathan sat through it, though he got antsy towards the end of each act.
One of the highlights this summer: taking Kevin and Brooklyn to see Wicked in San Diego. It was so amazing! Got chills during Defying Gravity and even a few tears it was just so beautiful! Brooklyn's favorite was Popular, she was so cute--had to tell her to stop singing along a couple of times! I'm reminded of why I listened to the music everyday for a month straight after the first time I saw it!
And we actually had a successful garden this year. Well we are calling it a success, although we hope to get better at this. Since we have failed every other year, we are happy with our few squashes, couple of peppers, one zucchini (then the plant died), little lettuce plants, the corn failed.....
....and lots of cherry tomatoes! ok they are smaller than cherries, but we've gotten lots of them!
No zucchini bread this year.....oh well!
It was a fun summer, not too hot until the last week or so. The kids also had fun doing two summer reading programs. They checked out books to read in between their Harry Potter ventures. It took Nathan the whole school year last year to read through all seven books. This summer he read all seven again! And Brooklyn has lapped him. I need another set of these books! I'm so glad that they have learned to love reading at a young age :)





No comments:
Post a Comment