Friday, October 8, 2010

Homework Dilemma

I am having a hard time letting my daughter learn a lesson. She forgot her homework this morning. She's a second grader and they turn in their homework every 7 days. It's really weird. They turn it in on a Friday and then a week and a half later they turn it in on a Tuesday. Then a week and a half later they turn it in on Friday. Brooklyn is so good at doing her homework every day, I feel bad that I forgot to remind her but she was being so self sufficient yesterday and I was focused on helping Nate with his homework. Then Kevin made their lunches this morning so I didn't even think about their backpacks. Ugggh! I so want to go drop off her homework, BUT I think if she has to turn it in on Monday late, she will always remember when her homework is due from now on. She's a smart girl and keeps track of what day it is. I know she can do this and that it will be a better life lesson for her if I give her the responsibility. BUT is she old enough really? Is she going to cry when she doesn't have her homework to turn in? Parenting is hard sometimes!

4 comments:

Molly said...

Who in the world would make a 2nd grader turn in their homework on a different day every week and a half? Why not make it every Monday or every Wednesday? There is no way I'd remember "every 7 school days," let alone expect my child to. :)

Rochbug said...

I think the only question I would be asking myself is "Do I really want to drive back to school again?" And my answer would be "NO!" So I wouldn't worry about it and I'm sure the teacher really doesn't care that much either.

Andrea said...

I think you should take the homework to the school and drop it off. She's too young to "teach her" to remember her homework. She'll be more excited that you saw it and were thoughtful enough to bring it to the school for her. When she's in Middle School/High School, you can "teach" her the lesson and not take it to her, but for now, she's way to little.

Kerri said...

So, how'd it all work out?

You know, I was smart and responsible, too. And I have very loving memories of my mom bringing me homework, lunches, etc. that I'd forgotten in the morning (mostly during elementary school). She was always there for me, and I didn't feel like I was taking advantage of her --oh, she'll just bring it if I forget--it was more really appreciative,and I really wanted to please her so tried even harder to remember it myself. She was a stay at home mom, too, choosing to make herself available for what we needed.

YOU are an awesome Mom, driven by values and principles :) I can't wait to hear how this worked out!